I’ve been busy! Since my last update, I’ve been hard at work in the A.S. Williams III Americana Collection at The University of Alabama. Right now, I am finishing up a project involving early twentieth-century Alabama postcards. The collection looks at how Alabama presented itself in the New South and how postcards captured the social, cultural, and economic development of the era. The project will eventually be part of a book which should be released later this year. In addition, I wrote a short piece on the cartes-de-visite in the Williams Collection that will appear in Alabama Heritage magazine this summer.
In mid-March, I presented on Likenesses Within the Reach of All at the Alabama Digital Humanities Center and explained how the process came about and the tools that I used to bring it all together. A few weeks later, I headed to South Bend, Indiana to present at the American Catholic Historical Association’s Spring Meeting. My talk explored the Ursuline convent burning of 1834, which, for those of you who know me, is a topic I’ve explored quite a bit in the past. It was well received and has encouraged me to finally brush up the article version for publication.
Today and tomorrow, I’ll be giving talks at Digitorium, ADHC’s inaugural digital humanities conference. Today will be a workshop on Google Fusion Tables and OpenRefine, while tomorrow will be a more formal panel on The Battle of Atlanta project I worked on at Emory University. These talks will help get me in the groove for my final talk this month, which will be a library-wide presentation on Likenesses.